Today when I met with the group of 10th grade girls I mentor we talked about our goals and plans for the year. As a part of planning some of our discussions, I had each of them brainstorm quietly on a piece of paper a few topics they’d like us to address. When I brought them home and started to read them, I was BLOWN AWAY by not only the depth of their thoughts but the breadth! I love to brag on these wonderful ladies, so I thought I’d share my compiled outline of their thoughts. I’ve reworded and done a tad of fleshing out (like on “sin”) to make it be a proper outline, but all the ideas are theirs — there is not a topic here that doesn’t come from what they wrote down!
Suggested Discussion Topics for 2013-2014
1. Who Is God?
- Character & attributes
2. How do we experience God?
- Do you have a personal relationship with God?
- Do you ever think God’s not listening or you don’t see him in your daily life?
- Talking to God (Prayer)
- What is prayer?
- Why should we pray?
- How should / do we pray?
- What experiences do we have with prayer? (Is God answering your prayers?)
3. Why does God matter to us?
- What is sin?
- What does God think about sin? / How does sin affect our relationship with God?
- How does God “fix” sin?
- Repentance, Forgiveness, & Reconciliation.
- What does it mean to “repent”?
- What is forgiveness?
- Predestination vs. Free Will
4. What does it mean to be a Christian? / How do we respond to God?
- What is a Christian?
- Church history / denominational family tree
- What does the Bible say Christians should do / be like?
- What is worship?
- How can we love God (more) ?
- How do I be more Christ-like / How do I live out my faith?
- What does it mean to love my neighbor? / Who is my neighbor?
- Loving my enemies
- The body of Christ: Community, Encouragement, etc.
- What is the Bible? How should / do I read it?
- How to be an example / mentor
- Dealing with tough stuff (e.g. death, depression, loneliness, etc.)
- The female body: body image, modesty, etc.
- School: Managing time wisely
- How to be a light at a Christian school (dealing with disagreement / hypocrisy)
- Witnessing: Being a light / telling others about Christ
- What does the Bible say about how to be a righteous woman?
- Being a Christian even in the midst of “coolness” / Dealing with peer pressure
- Healthy relationships
- Dealing with conflict
- Gossip / accountability
Ok, folks — there is PREDESTINATION on there! I am so impressed. (Not to mention my other mentee / friend, who just started her own blog with the question “What is sin?” I mean really — how do I get to be friends with all these fantabulous humans???)